Effective Date: 09/05/2012
2. Information We Collect
Information You Provide Directly to the Site
You are not required to provide information about yourself when you visit the Site. Virgin Galactic may ask you for some or all of the following types of information when you, for example, register for certain services, make a booking request, access various content or features, or directly contact Virgin Galactic:
• personal information, such as your full name, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, or mobile number (“Personal Information”);
• your user name, password, and password reminder questions and answers;
• demographic information, such as your date of birth, gender, or zip code;
• in limited circumstances, payment information;
• in limited circumstances, information about your physical and mental health and fitness and information about your medical history;
• the name of the publication you represent (if signing in to the Press FTP site);
• interests for conversations with our booking agents; and
• correspondence you send to us.
Information We Collect Automatically on the Site
We may collect the following information automatically in the course of operating the Site:
• your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number assigned to your computer whenever it is connected to the Internet;
• your browser type and operating system;
• sites you visited before and after visiting the Site;
• webpages and advertisements that you view and links you click on within the Site;
• information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies; and
• standard server log information.
Please note that all of the information we collect about you may be combined to help us tailor our communications to you and to improve our Site and services.
3. Use of Information
We only use payment information as necessary to complete a particular transaction, fulfill a service, or as otherwise required by law.
We generally use other information we collect to:
• fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you newsletters, authorize a purchase, and complete a transaction that you have requested;
• operate the Site;
• enable you to participate in features, such as sweepstakes or contests;
• communicate with you about products and services offered by Virgin Galactic, companies within the Virgin group, and trusted partners;
• analyze the use of the Site and to improve our Site, products, and services;
• respond to your requests for information about our Site, products, services, jobs or bookings;
• respond to submissions of ideas;
• conduct internal trend analysis, marketing, financial and operational analysis and studies;
• further the goal of making commercial spaceflight available to the public;
• prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities and comply with legal requirements; and
• further any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
4. Disclosure of Information to Others
Virgin Galactic may share the information we collect when necessary to provide the services you requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
Virgin Galactic may use third-party service providers to perform functions on our behalf, which may include assisting us in processing information. These service providers are subject to obligations to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are restricted from using the information for purposes other than those authorized by Virgin Galactic.
Compliance with Law and Protection of Legal Rights
Virgin Galactic may disclose the information that we collect as required by law, including to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with other legal obligations. Virgin Galactic also may disclose such information to protect and defend the legal rights, interests, and safety of Virgin Galactic, the Virgin group and their employees, agents, and contractors (including enforcing our contractual rights), users of our Site, and members of the public.
We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of the Site, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Virgin Galactic may aggregate the information that we collect about you and other individuals by removing any personally identifiable information that directly identifies a user and by combining this information. This aggregated information may be used for marketing and financial or operational analysis and planning, and it may be shared with third parties, including business partners and government agencies.
You may choose to enjoy content and features on the Site without directly providing us with any information about you; however, as described above, some information may automatically be collected or requested so that you can take advantage of certain features and services offered through the Site.
You can request that we stop sending you commercial email messages about other products and services of Virgin Galactic, our affiliates, and trusted partners by submitting a request to opt out of future marketing communications to email@example.com. Please note that even if you unsubscribe to commercial messages, we still may need to send you communications relating to your use of the Site, such as service announcements, or your requested transactions.
6. Access to and Correction of Personal Information
We understand the importance of keeping Personal Information accurate and up-to-date and that you may want to access and correct the Personal Information that you have provided us from time to time. We will provide you access to the Personal Information about you within our control on your reasonable request, when required by law. We similarly will correct or delete Personal Information about you on your reasonable request, except when prohibited by law or when it is necessary for business or legal purposes not to alter or delete the information. All requests should be submitted in writing to:
Attn: General Counsel
65 Bleecker Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10012
Requests by telephone, fax, or e-mail cannot be accepted.
Virgin Galactic will comply with your reasonable request if sufficient security information is provided to establish your identity and to locate the appropriate information. Please enclose the following with your request:
• a photocopy of your passport, or any other official document upon which your signature is present; and
• details of any specific documents you require that contain Personal Information (if known).
You will receive acknowledgement of your request within a reasonable time. Further correspondence regarding your request should only be made in writing to the Data Protection Manager at the above address.
7. Security and Integrity of Information
We employ commercially reasonable and appropriate technical, administrative, and physical measures to help protect the information we collect from loss, unauthorized access or misuse, and alteration. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information that you provide to us.
8. Transfers of Data Outside of the Country of Origin
As we have operations in the United States, please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Site may be transferred to and processed in the United States and be subject to United States law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By accessing and using the Site or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States.
9. Children’s Privacy
The Site is intended for adults, and we do not knowingly collect or store Personal Information from children under the age of 13. Some portions of the Site may ask for a birth date to ensure that information from children under 13 is not collected. In those instances where we gain actual knowledge that we have collected information from a child, we will comply with applicable laws, including the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
11. Contact Virgin Galactic